Monday, February 6, 2012

Project Update - 2/7/12

I decided the best way to start this project was to just start shooting and figure out how it all works exactly. I set my camera to a 10 second shutter speed, and got in front, using my iPhone as the light source. I downloaded a 'Flashlight' app which allowed a bunch of different colors to light up my dark hallway.
Here are some shots from my first couple of takes:






















As you can see, I haven't quite mastered technique yet. I have discovered some valuable information that will help me along with my photo series. In light painting, there is no 'picking up the pen' so everything you do is in one stroke...UNLESS you manage to cover up the light, or turn it off before proceeding to the next part of your 'painting.' This seems easy in theory, but is pretty hard to accomplish in a 10 second period. I also discovered the process of trying to make shapes, which can be very difficult if you can't see the strokes as you make them, you can only see it in the end product.


Now that I know the logistics of how to accomplish light painting, I want to develop my idea a little further and figure out the story that will go along with the light paintings. I also want to try shooting a subject along with the light, and for that I will need another light source shining on the person/object.

Since these are the very beginning stages of my project, I am still making discoveries and working out the development of my idea. Any sort of general feedback is welcomed and encouraged!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ali!
    Nice first steps. I hope you are interested in the notion of tying in your phone/contacts etc to develop this project. Feel free of course to develop alternate concepts yet do be cognizant of creating an idea to tie all the works together.
    joseph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I notice you have wonderfully large images on your blog! Great! Why didn't you magnify these images when presenting your work? Do so in the future as you want your work to be viewed in the best possible light! (pun intended)

    ReplyDelete